Thursday, February 17, 2011

On a Bicycle Built for Two


Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do
I'm half crazy all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage--
I can't afford a carriage
But you'd look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

As a little girl, I remember often singing the chorus of "Daisy Bell," the classic song played in the above video. I always loved the image of riding away from a wedding on a bicycle built for two. There's something inherently romantic in a tandem bike, the idea that no matter your destination, you are getting there together and only through combined efforts.


Now THAT'S what I call a bicycle built for two!

I am clearly not the only one enchanted by the idea of a bicycle wedding. Flip through any bridal magazine and you'll be greeted by at least a half dozen ads incorporating brides, grooms, and bikes. What is it about bicycles that so captures the romantic spirit? And when did this idea start?

A modern take by Sincerity Bridal

Slogging through the internet provided me with a few fragmented answers. For example, I was able to find a magazine cover from a French periodical depicting a bicycle wedding processional from 1909, but not many other images from the turn of the century. Turning to news periodicals was somewhat more fruitful. I found a few articles from the early 1900s and even a few from the 1890s. What becomes clear is that it was the invention of the safety bicycle in the late 1880s, which was far more accommodating for women, that facilitated the bicycle wedding trend.

Le Petit Journal, 25 April 1909; "Mariage en Bicyclette"

Of the articles I found, the earliest was from the March 22nd, 1894, issue of The New York Times, entitled "Rode to Their Wedding on Bicycles." It describes the wedding of Charles Bader, "a well-known Newark wheelman," to Violet Hervey. The couple apparently rode to the local Reverend's house, went in, got married, and went on their merry way. Clearly a fluff piece, but odd enough at the time to warrant a space in the paper!

Two other articles I liked include "Bicycle Wedding at Rahway," from the Sept. 6, 1897 issue of The New York Times, which describes an impromptu wedding where the bride and groom arrived on separate bikes and left on a tandem, and "A Bicycle Romance" from the Feb. 17, 1901 issue (exactly 110 years ago TODAY!) of The New York Times, which describes how the couple spotted each other at a cycling event and the "skill of each excited the admiration of the other, and the couple fell in love before they fairly realized the fact." Sounds pretty familiar! (Also, thanks for archiving your stuff, NYTimes!!!!!)

My favorite article by far, however, is this gem brought to you by the April 1897 edition of the Evening Post:


It goes without saying that Austin and I will be integrating bikes into our wedding, though we haven't quite decided on the extent. He's all for riding to the ceremony and reception, but the idea of getting my very beautiful (and very expensive) wedding dress dirty or torn makes me cringe, so I am heavily lobbying for the use of pedicabs. More on those developments as they arise! But for now, time for this bike bride to get her beauty sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I'll ride to your wedding! I think I can even do it in a pencil skirt on the Pashley... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can rent/borrow a bike and ride too!

    ReplyDelete