Wednesday, May 18, 2011

STDs You Actually Want to Receive

I, like everyone else, have received my fair share of Save the Dates and wedding invitations. I have kept precisely 0 of them. Now that I am planning my own wedding stationery, I am rather appalled at how insanely expensive this stuff is. A couple could easily spend thousands of dollars designing, printing, and sending out their stationery. That's a lot of scratch for stuff that inevitably ends up in the trash.

While I am planning on going a more traditional route for the invitations, I figured I'd have fun with the Save the Dates, because why the heck not? There are lots of amazing ideas floating around the internet for creative Save the Dates. 




Co-opted scene from "The Graduate" Save the Dates? Uh huh.


Crossword puzzle Save the Dates? 1 across: three letters; an affirmative answer
Insane indie-rock stop-motion animation Save the Dates? Got it.



Basically the possibilities are endless. But one day as I was perusing the internet (as I am wont to do), I ended up finding an artist on etsy who was advertising custom comic book Save the Dates. They were a fair price, we'd be directly supporting and working with the artist, and they were freaking awesome. I floated the idea by Austin, and we were sold. 

I ended up contacting the artist, Mark Welser, in early February. We told him our story, interests, backgrounds, etc. I told him my hope to integrate Chicago, our dog, and Godzilla, and he was more than up for the challenge. After many emails, pictures, and sketches back and forth, we finally have our very own Save the Dates:


I think he did a pretty incredible job capturing us (and Godzilla), don't you? They're currently being made into magnets, and will start going out next month. I'm suuuuuuper excited! 

You can see more of Mark's very imaginative Save the Dates on his facebook album.

No comments:

Post a Comment