Monday, August 1, 2011

The Search for Reception

Many apologies for the radio silence! Needless to say lots of plans have been solidified, vendors contracted, and deposits paid. Slowly but surely our (read: my) vision is coming together!

The biggest accomplishment by far was getting the reception space nailed down. We are SO SO happy that things worked out with Revolution Brewing. Austin is beloved by the entire staff and we both absolutely love their food and beer. Ever since Austin was privy to a private tour of the 2nd floor during Rev's soft opening last year, we knew it was a perfect place for a reception. As soon as we knew we were having a wedding, we called to reserve the space. Problem was, we were a little ahead of them. Like, 6 months ahead. So after months of waiting and hand wringing (on my part) and wildly different capacity estimates and city inspections, we FINALLY got things ironed out with them last week. We went to visit the newly finished space last week during their opening and it looks amazing. I think it will be a great spot for us all to celebrate.

The Brewers' Lounge at Revolution Brewing, Chicago, IL

With the big things out of the way, I am now learning the joys of attempting to plan wedding reception decorations in a venue with wood-paneled walls and freshly-painted ceilings. No matter, I am crafty and resourceful and every time I get told "no tapers!" or "no outlets!" or "no you cannot hang 150,000 lighted lanterns from the ceiling!" it's a challenge to my creative side. After all, there really are no end to wedding decoration options. At times it really feels like everything that could ever be done at a wedding has already been done, but in a way that's pretty freeing. It means I don't have to waste time reinventing the wheel and spend more time having fun and enjoying this process. 

Now THAT'S a good old-fashioned wedding!

I don't want to give TOO much away, but at this point I'm still very hopeful that my vision of a vintage-flavored/subtly Japanese-inspired/beer/bikes reception will be a reality. Because at the end of the day, I just want a wedding that is us, and integrating his passion (beer) with my passion (Japan) and our passion (bikes) is the perfect marriage of who we are and what we're all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment